3.31.2003

It is done! Finished! Finished the lake association newsletter this morning. It's actually pretty good... looks kind of professional... even. What can i say? Even with all the wonderful help from a great group of people... all totally dedicated to making our beautiful little lake the healthiest lake in Michigan... it still was a job and a half to put together. The only difficult part is - where else? - in my head. Except for blogging, it's how i operate. Give me an assignment... give me a deadline... give me something really important to do and what's the first thing i do? Procrastinate.
My favorite dictionary says:
pro·cras·ti·nate (pr-krst-nt, pr-)
v. pro·cras·ti·nat·ed, pro·cras·ti·nat·ing, pro·cras·ti·nates
v. intr. To put off doing something, especially out of habitual carelessness or laziness.
v. tr. To postpone or delay needlessly.
-------------------------
[Latin prcrstinre, prcrstint- : pr-, forward; see pro-1 + crstinus, of tomorrow (from crs, tomorrow).]

Carelessness? Laziness? ME? I don't think so! For as long as i can remember i've received A's in the English language... especially writing. I love to write... and yet, when it comes to deadlines... well, whatta' ya' gonna' do, huh? My problem? I was unsure of the 'deadline' for the newsletter project. There was a deadline... sort of.. it was 'yesterday.' Had lots of material, but nobody said 'Do it by 2:00 Friday... " or whatever, so i finally... after procrastinating of course, gave myself a deadline and voila! It's done. and a beautiful thing it is, i might add.

But careless? Me? Never! I will not put something out there until it's as near perfection as i can get it! Laziness? Me? I don't think so! Do you see people lining up to do that job? One wonderful woman did it for awhile, but it became a basically thankless job. When you're a volunteer in the first place, i guess a little compliment now and then won't hurt! It's the compensation. Fortunately for me... i get lots of 'compensation' from this group! Do they really like it or are they glad it's me... not them... doing the job? I think they're genuine. I don't think i'm either careless or lazy, but i do work better under 'pressure.' Guess in my case, procrastination is just my way of getting a job done the best way i know how!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?