4.23.2004

I attended another great performance of *Fiddler on the Roof yesterday.I've seen it performed at least a dozen times. This time my husband and I were invited to attend as official photographers for a very talented group of middle school and high school students, taught and directed by our second born daughter. This first performance was also a dress rehearsal... performed for the pleasure of the very youngest few grades in a k-12 public school.

My talented daughter explained to these little ones in terms they could understand... it's about people who get 'picked on' because they are different.. it's about the way they celebrate special occasions (traditions)... and what they do about their problems. The kids were spellbound throughout the performance! Sharlene, you are a wonderful teacher.

What is the appeal of this musical play? What is it that will keep an auditorium full of 5-10 year olds quiet throughout the performance? Why do I keep coming back to it? I think it's because the story is something we can all relate to.... and I think it's because the bullies didn't really win, even though the family had to move away from their traditional home to a new country. If you want to know more about what I think of this great musical, you might want to read my blog at environmental quotes and quips

*Book by Joseph Stein
Lyrics by Sheldon Harnick
Music by Jerry Bock

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?