Natalie's Rummage Sale was Rained out again...
I vowed not to even touch her - yes, her!!! - calico cats are always female. I have four cats... and that is perhaps too many, but I will not take in more. They are 'indoor' cats and have all the shots and no parasites and also have been spayed and/or neutered.
What to do; what to do! I talked to Foggy... she suggested I at least take her in so she doesn't die of hunger out there... so I found this old kitty carrier (recently cleaned but rusty) and put in some kitty litter at one end, a small towel and a dish of water and food. I wet the food to soften it for her. She looks to be not much more than maybe five weeks old - too young to be taken from her mother. She gobbled the food down - I didn't give her more because I'm afraid she would get sick. I'll give her more later today. Had to move her to another room - behind closed door - because her pitiful little cries were driving the rest of the household (the cats but mostly me) a bit crazy.
What kind of person will discard such a sweet innocent little creature anyway? I will not keep her - might have to take her to the animal shelter Monday. I have some leads for finding her a home... but not very promising... Pray for her, okay?
I hate when I sleep in on Fosamax Friday!
My frogs are back!!! Had to share this photo with you. Took a bunch of them today. Actually there were three frogs in the pond. Gee I was glad to see them because it seems every time I mow I have to slow down because I'll see at least one hopping in the grass. Wondering where they come from? ...the little creek that runs down to the river, of course! I'm just glad some of them managed to find the little pond.
I want to clarify my yesterday post a bit. The carpet color just didn't seem to show true, but it does in this photo. It's actually called 'Spicey' and this shot shows the variations better. I really like it! I just wish I could put this carpet in my living room - where the walls - which are brick - have the same colors in them. I guess it still is good because it carries the 'rusty' theme throught the house without needing to use the actual brick in these other rooms.
...last word - not complaining about the Fosamax a bit. Like Martha would say, 'It's a good thing.' I'm not so sure I'd be able to remember that other product - the one you take only monthly... even if it does work for Sally Field! Another last word (???) - cassie-b mentioned my re-do makes her feel like she should be doing something. Don't feel bad, Cas, this is stuff that's been long overdue in my house. I'm actually finishing projects that were started a long time ago... and as a fringe benefit... this activity has been very therapeutic at this stage in my life. It's sort of a total renewal thing.
Have a nice day, and if I don't get back in the next couple of days, have a great weekend too!
Addendum @ 1:31 pm - I just posted a photo for foto pherrets here at sherle's photos! I was on a roll this past few days with the camera.
is sort of fun... paying for it? not so much! Paint stirrers show the color of the two rooms needing flooring.
Wednesday I brought home samples... I think I've narrowed it down... hallway/foyer areas will be easy care vinyl - a good heavy duty grade - shown on the right. This color shows pretty true on my computer - and goes well with the existing ceramic tile in the dining and kitchen areas. The yellow? - That is the color of the new activity room aka family room. That color extends into the hallway where I want the vinyl. Even though I chose a different vinyl floor for the bathroom and laundry room, I just might decide to use this one in those rooms as well.
Going with the medium shade of carpeting - bottom left - in bedroom and activity room. The pink is my bedroom wall color. These colors do not look exactly this color but close. Had the rooms measured yesterday and expect a phone call tomorrow from the store - with a final cost estimate. Now that I've made a decision I'm anxious to get things done!
Something else I don't know...
Tell me... is this creature a cormorant? My sister Gerry and I saw it when we were in Ludington last week. At first we thought it might be a heron but then I remembered reading that cormorants are sort of a dark bird, shaped similarly to a heron... and somehow this bird wasn't quite as pretty as the blue heron I've seen in past years.
I've read cormorants have a voracious appetite and are a threat to more desirable water fowl and to fish. Nice picture though, isn't it? It was taken along the Lincoln River in Ludington State Park.
Monday Madness- questions from fellow participants!
1. From jstar: Holiday in Europe or Asia? I think Europe - because of my roots. It would be interesting to visit Wales & France - the two places I know are in my family history.
2. From sherle: How do you try to change a behavior pattern you don't like about yourself... whether it's chewing fingernails, overeating, smoking, or picking your nose? When I started smoking, I quit chewing my fingernails. I used the patch to quit smoking and it worked! I've tried pills to quite overeating, which got worse after I quit smoking... and it only works for a short while. Counting calories helps the most if I stick to it, which, unfortunately I don't. Thank goodness, I don't pick my nose.
3. From tricia: Have you ever successfully completed a Sudoku puzzle? No - actually I get all tense and feel incompetent just looking at one!
4. From caylynn: What website do you visit the most often? Hmmm! ...probably my own, but I also read the Midland Daily News every day online... I use dictionary.com often and oh yes, Google! I probably use Google the most - for what I want to know - every day!
5. From michael morgan: What was your favorite thing about high school or college? Graduation!
Thought I was done blogging for today but...
I was just catching up on blogs and Shirl took a photo last week that is pretty similar to this one I took last week. Not to disappoint, in case you stop by Shirl, here it is!
Discovering this lonely red leaf was sort of like spotting the first robin in spring...
Soon my maple tree will be gold & red all over... then the raking - ah the raking - hope weather stays warm enough to get it all done before snowfall!
Today is special...
I understand. Why do I share this picture of my freshly painted garage? It's an example of the words expressed by Dietrich Bonhoeffer, which Natalie shared in her blog today.
As many know, this summer, for me, has been one of renewal and completion. This garage is an example. Until a couple of weeks ago, it was red with a black, leaky roof and a tarry brush adorning it. The brush was testament to Frank's last effort to at least put a temporary fix to the leak. It was there for a more than a year. Frank did not like to hire something done if he could do it himself and he had installed the black roof. He was determined to fix it too.
Thursday, when I returned home from a computer club board meeting, I stood at the kitchen door just looking at this garage and my garden - and the pond Frank installed for me last summer. For some reason the tears began to flow. It felt good. There was a warmth in the moment that is difficult to describe. Then it was gone. Those tears are rare... the last time must have been many months ago...
Today would be our 51st wedding anniversary. Thank you, Natalie, for the good wishes. They are still important to me... The old leaky roof may be gone, but the fresh new one is testament to your dad's memory too!
The more I plan to blog frequently...
1. How do you eat an oreo cookie? (from tricia) Call me boring but I eat an Oreo the same way I eat any other cookie - I just bite into the whole thing and chew!
2. How long does it take you to eat lunch? Never timed myself but doesn't take long to eat when you have nobody to talk with during the meal.
3. Caffeine or decaf? caffeine - 2 cups of coffee first thing in the morning and any more caffeine comes from an occasional diet Pepsi or a flavored green tea... favorites being with lemon, mint, or chai. Usually no caffeine after mid-afternoon.
4. Chicken or beef? Been eating more chicken lately but crave a nice burger or lean steak once in a while... and fish!!! I do like to have fish a couple of times a week.
5. Pen or pencil? Mostly pen... preferably a black pen.
6. Autumn or spring? I love them both but I'm thinking spring because it's the time of year for rebirth and warm weather coming.
7. Baseball or basketball? Neither but at least I know the basic rules in baseball.
8. 'Survivor' or 'The Amazing Race?' Survivor but no longer feel obligated to watch every issue. I missed the opener this year because I had a meeting to facilitate.
9. Come up with one question I can ask our Monday Madness participants in the weeks to come. How do you try to change a behvior pattern you don't like about yourself... whether it's chewing fingernails, overeating, smoking, or picking your nose? I had fun making a few more questions but just mailed them directly to OttO. ;-) Thanks Nat!
...and it's Monday!
1. How long have you been blogging? on Blogger - since June 2002. Prior to that I had a few websites that were hosted free. I used those websites like blogs although I referred to them as 'web diaries.' My first was actually on MSN where I had a website called 'Salas Family Central' and kept it private just between family members. Gosh I don't remember when that was!!! I copied it to a hard drive before letting it lapse however. I know I was still using Windows 95 - and my husband updated our OS regularly! Here's my diary entry written on 9/11/2002.
2. How many times have you taken a break from blogging? Gee, if you mean just drop a blog? Well, never actually. The most I've done is slow down in upkeep.
3. How long is the longest you've gone, so far, without posting on your blog? Not so much - I think my longest break may have been a couple of weeks?? - at most a month.
4. How many fellow bloggers do you keep in touch with, through your blogs, on a regular basis? I think it varies - depending on how much time I have. Lately - in order to keep up on reading blogs, I don't leave comments as often as I did in the past... but I check on maybe somewhere between 6 and 12 blogs at least once a week.
5. Have you ever met, in person, a blogger on your blogroll? Well! Since I'm the one who told my daughters about blogging - and convinced them to do so - I need to say all 6 of them started blogs and 3 or 4 continue on a fairly regular basis. People outside of the family - I have not met but feel like I know them!
6. How often do you update/change the 'extra' stuff on your blog? probably 2 or 3 times/year. Thinking of making some changes now but it seems to be harder to do with Blogger's new formats.
7. Do you think you'll be blogging for years to come? probably...
Thanks Otto!!! That was fun - & made me think a bit. ;-)
Yesterday Foggy & I went over to the annual arts & crafts show at Leaman's Green Applebarn. Unfortunately we got there when they were about to close up. It's only from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm both days! Anyway it was damp & cold. Today looks sunny. I'm going back.
The good news, we got some quality time in just sitting and talking - just the two of us. Life is good.
It WILL slow down someday... ???
...maybe, but would I like it? Here's a pic of the paint job. As you can see there's room for lots of landscaping up close to the house! Yup! I've moved a few things & demolished the jumangi junipers! Thanks Emilio!
Actually, the north & east sides of the house aren't painted yet, but the deck is done. Had the garage reroofed yesterday - yup! They got the whole thing done in one day and that included rebuilding part it.
Speaking of Emilio... he reduced the size of the hearth in my new activity room and has promised to get the wood burning fireplace insert out so I can get some carpet ordered. Don't want to get new carpet dirty with the uninstall. Plan to put an electric one in it's place.
Dave stopped by yesterday and was amazed at progress since last time he was here. Promised to be back next weekend to install closet and bedroom doors. I was so glad for that, I forgot he was also planning to drop off some trim wood today... so I wasn't here when he stopped by after work. Talk about kicking a gift horse in the head!!! Duh ME!!!
Firmed up plans for some quality time with one of my sisters next week. We will be checking out my cottages and spend some time at the beach. Looking forward to it!!!
OttO has finally blogged again. Stop by and say hello to her... maybe we can motivate her to get back on a regular basis now that her remodel project is just about done! Hurray for you, Nat!
in my email today...
"You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live -- now." -- Joan Baez, Musician
What a Wonderful Weekend!
Yesterday we celebrated my mom's 91st birthday. Enjoyed a few hours visiting with some of my siblings at my brother's house. His son & daughter-in-law were visiting and it was a delight seeing & visiting with them also. My mom looks younger than she did last year. Whatta woman!
...and now here, from OttO - a bit of Monday Madness:
1. Which holidays (if any) do you consider more as a day off from work, than anything else? When my kids were with us, Easter & Christmas, and the whole weekends of Labor Day, Memorial Day & Independence Day. Whoops! misread the question!!! Those were the biggest ones to celebrate!Just a day off from work? I guess that would be the day after Thanksgiving... hmmm. I guess I actually never let my job mean that much to me - no matter what it was & I pretty much like holidays.
2. Which 3 holidays are most celebrated in your family? When my kids were with us, Easter & Christmas, and Independence Day weekend. Now - I usually have a get-together after Christmas for the whole family... and on Easter Day & Thanksgiving Day for whoever can make it over for the celebration.
3. Do you have an organized filing system at home? yes
4. Do you clip coupons for groceries? If so, do you remember to use them? If not, why? yes & yes... but using less because they don't offer as many useable coupons any more & my shopping patterns have changed too.
5. How many magazines do you subscribe to? None... I'm letting Frank's subscriptions run out. If I want a magazine I'll buy one. One magazine continues to come however - AAII where he had a lifetime membership! When I phoned to inform them they just changed his membership over to my name and I will continue receiving their publications. Interesting, eh?
6. Do you play any computer games on a regular basis? If so, which is your favorite, and why? Yeah - Spider Solitaire gets me in a 'zone' and I just relax with it.
7. Have you watched any movies worth recommending, lately? Yes, on tv... Renaissance Man, starring Danny DeVito was on the Hallmark Channel. I saw it years ago & enjoyed it thoroughly the second time too!